Saturday, January 14, 2012

what if?

i am an incredibly passionate person, especially when it comes to things i feel passionate about.  sounds right, right?  recently i encountered some posts on a facebook page that features mugshots of local arrests.  seems innocent enough, right?  wrong!  the commentary that followed was outrageous!  and it doesn't just happen there, it happens after almost news item on any website.  it sickens me the insults adults are throwing at each other and speaks to the heart of the character the school systems are trying not to instill in our children, the future of this nation and world.  several adages raced through my head when reading the message thread of said facebook page: 
1. just because you can, doesn't mean you should...
2. if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all...
3. treat others as you would like to be treated...
4. people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...
5. actions speak louder than words...
6. if you can talk the talk, then you should be able to walk the walk...

should i go on or do you get the point?

at any rate... i took it upon myself to call adults to action and composed a quite lengthy article published in our local newspaper, not in the letter to the editor, as initially intended, but in the editor's own column...  quite an honor, although it doesn't hurt that i have worked at said newspaper on and off for 6 or 7 years... :)  i hope that this post is though provoking for you and makes you think about how your actions are being viewed by the young and impressionable that are watching...  **warning: this is quite a read, but definitely worthwhile...


In response to a recent experience I encountered on a local Facebook page, I believe it is my civil duty to call adults to action in changing the tide of the way we interact with each other.  North Iowa Mugshots claims to operate under the premise of public service and posts pictures of local arrests, organizes them by crimes, and to proceeds to allow this page to be an open forum for reckless commentary by anyone.  A public service cannot coexist peacefully with a platform for rebuttal.  Not to mention it is in direct violation of our judicial system’s “innocent until proven guilty” doctrine.  North Iowa Mugshots is not the only Internet-based news source to be held accountable - I see many absurd and irrelevant comments following other news stories on local TV stations, news papers, and other reputable websites.  Presenting the facts is called journalistic integrity, and while people feel it is there right to respond to these facts with their own interpretations, I ask - is it necessary?
I don't know 99% of the people featured on that page or in the news, and my guess is most may not either.  However, it is frustrating and sickening that adults are throwing insults, language, personal attacks, and threats around with complete and utter disregard for the full extent of these inappropriate and senseless comments.  The old adage "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" seems quite appropriate to describe the situation going on not only on that page or pages like it, but in society in general.  I am far from perfect, and I’m really glad my life isn’t on a microscope for others to dissect.
It is my belief the administrators of any webpage have the right, and dare I say obligation, to censor such posts.  This statement may get me accused of infringing on freedom of speech rights; however, when people exercise these "Freedom of Speech" threats they are making, they may earn themselves a picture on the wall of shame, and then they are no better than the people they are blatantly judging.  Furthermore, the cloak of anonymity gives people a voice they wouldn’t ordinarily exercise.  The argument could be made that a website is not responsible or can be held liable for the comments made by members, and one must take into consideration the type of people posting such garbage.  While a valid point, I ask, again, it is necessary?  Perhaps I was raised by very wise people, but I believe my grandmother said to me on many occasions, “Is it better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool rather than to open it and remove all doubt?”  I implore you to consider these words the next time you consider saying, writing, or expressing yourself in a manner that is insensitive, foolish, and impulsive.   
I am not an activist against Freedom of Speech - here I am speaking openly against the activities of those who post unnecessary commentary following any news story.  I have been employed by local newspapers for years and fully understand the impact of our First Amendment Rights.  What I am an activist against is such vulgarity that serves zero purpose, openly makes physical threats, harbors an atmosphere of bullying, and makes an outright display of despicable behaviors, one post nastier than the previous.  It simply called common sense and responsibility, two key traits crucial to our ability to function and coexist.
If this is what children have as role models for appropriate adult behavior, it is no wonder kids behave the way they do.  That goes for the people featured in news articles for their wrong-doings and those who feel the need to treat others so uncivilly.  This, my friends, only perpetuates instead of breaks the cycle.  I am a teacher, I have kids of my own, and I serve on on my school’s character education team; the observations I have made of the comments are not solving any problems, are not a wise use of time, and most certainly are not positive.  It is our responsibility to instill values in our children and encourage them to be civil-minded, caring, compassionate, and respectful in their relationships.  It's total hypocrisy for today's adult generations to complain about the behavior of today's youth when they have not set an example worth following.
Instead of pointing out the obvious flaws in decision-making of people featured on the sites, what if we provided mentoring to young mothers as to how to run a household?  What if there were reasonable daycare options for them to finish or pursue education?  What if we did more drug and alcohol awareness in our own homes?  What if there were tougher traffic laws?  What if bartenders didn’t allow their patrons to get behind the wheel?  What if?  Believe it or not, I am not a liberal democrat - I’m a humanitarian just wanting the best for the future of this world.  My kids have to grow up in here, and it’s already difficult enough to teach the difference between right and wrong without all the social influences, negativism, and injustices being displayed in our own backyard.
Although I use websites for their intended purposes, and like to pride myself on keeping up-to-date on local news stories, I am astonished by other adults who choose to use them as a platform for spreading hatred.  Just because a comment box follows a news item doesn't alone justify or even require its usage.  There are appropriate outlets for voicing an opinion and I am not convinced that children, or anyone with an ounce of common sense, should be subjected to some of the most wicked statements I have ever encountered.  I must look crazy for putting this much thought into this cry for social justice, but if no one else is going to be a voice of reason, I will stand up and support the cause whole-heartedly.  
I again am reminded of a poem that sums up what I am trying to say:
Watch your thoughts for they become your words.
Watch your words for they become your actions.
Watch your actions for they become your habits.
Watch your habits for they become your character.
Watch your character for it becomes your destiny.
It is only to society's benefit that our interactions with each other remain respectful, considerate, calm, and productive.  We first have to look within to be the change we want to see.  Do you have it within you?




No comments:

Post a Comment