Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chicken Stoup and Cornmeal Dumplings

This is seriously one of my favorite meals I've made in a long time! It was a version of Chicken Stew and Cornmeal Dumplings found in the good ol' Betty Crocker cookbook. I changed up the vegetables slightly as well as the milk/water/broth ratio. If you have that cookbook, by all means use that recipe and tweak it as you see fit. Kids hated it but I am seriously looking forward to leftovers for the second day tomorrow! Oh and did I mention it's a one pot meal and ready in under 30 minutes???!!!

Stoup
1 1/2 C cubed, shredded, chunk chicken (I used 4 frozen breasts, boiled them to just thaw, and changed out the water to continue)
1 package frozen stewing vegetables (onions, celery, red peppers)
1 C frozen corn
1 C carrots
2 C chicken broth
1 C milk
3-4 T flour (or equivalency in corn starch)
Season with pepper, oregano, basil, and garlic salt (I also used a dash of red pepper flakes)

Dumplings
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C shredded cheese (I used 3/4 C)
1/3 C yellow cornmeal
1 t baking powder
2 T milk
2 T cooking oil
1 egg
Dash of pepper, oregano, basil, and garlic salt

Dump in everything under the stoup list BUT the milk and flour in a big pot. I microwaved the raw carrots for approximately 3 minutes which really helped them get tender fast. Cook until carrots and other veggies are tender and chicken (if raw) is done. Prepare your dumpling batter while that is simmering away. Make slurry of milk and flour and add to pot. Simmer until bubbly. Drop dumpling batter in by tablespoons; there should be 6-10 depending on how big your tablespoon is. Cover and simmer on low for 8-12 minutes until toothpick inserted in dumpling comes out clean.

Enjoy!!!

Sorry no pics. I ate it too fast!

The nutrition facts below are based on six servings. I had 12 small dumplings and about a cup of stoup.

No comments:

Post a Comment